Thursday, July 10, 2008

Modern Families

How do you define family? One of my friends left a piece of "flair" on my Facebook that stated: "Friends are God's way of apologizing for family" I found this very amusing because that is basically how my "family" formed. A few close friends that have always been there and helped no matter what. I won't get into the details about my parents, but I will say that my friends filled that void in my life where my parents had failed to be. And I'm very thankful for that, from one letting me live in his house instead of in my car for a while, to the other offering to co-sign on a loan for me to get my college education. (I declined this offer, but I was very touched). And then of course there is my boyfriend.

Over the weekend many members of my boyfriend's family were in town. Sunday afternoon we went out to brunch, and it was decided that we would draw names for Christmas presents there seeing how that many of us wouldn't be in the same room again until my boyfriend's brother's wedding. The rules: "All members of the family take a one name" Well there were three young women, including myself, wondering if we were considered members of the family. The only difference between me and the other two was that they had shiny rings on their left hands that promised future legal acceptance into the family. So the question:"What about the couples?"
"Engaged counts."
Then it seemed that everyone turned and looked right at me, so I felt the need to crack a joke: "What about domestic partners?" They laughed and I pulled a name out of the old lollipop tin.*

My boyfriend is part of my little family, we aren't silly kids just playing house that will break up in a couple months. We've only been together a little over two years but it feels like so much longer, and in a good way. We break out into song, think each others thoughts and encourage one another. He is the most positive thing thats ever happened to me. And I hope everyone gets to be as lucky as I am.
Now I'll stop being mushy.

My cousin also has an interesting family. She is legally married, and has two children, a daughter and a son. However their family is looking to marry in another "daddy". They all live together, two daddies, one mommy, and two kids. And it works very well for them. They're in the mist I'm told, of planning their wedding. The kids seem to be growing up with enough positive influence, encouragement, and support. And as long as my Catholic grandmother doesn't find out I think it will workout just fine.

So I wonder, how would you if you were 5 years old, draw your family? Would it be traditional? Or a little "different" than what society considers family?


*Luckily I got one of my favorites

No comments: