Tuesday, July 8, 2008

All Those Lovely Bullet Points

Last Wednesday I had a meeting with my Broker to discuss my earning goals for the year. I like working with her, she is a strong, independent, devote Christian woman. Really someone to look up to and learn from. At some point in the meeting she started telling me about how she goes about micro-managing her time. She even sent me her Excel chart where she had every hour of her day planned. And I thought, "I really need to do that".

I'm the kinda of person that needs goals, while most of mine are big (finish school early, pay for it not have debt, get married, moved to Raleigh, work in graphic design, get Master's, have children, start company, get Doctorate, be financially comfortable, be able to support my husband so he can do the things that make him happy, make sure my kids get whatever they need and get to go to school wherever they want, etc.) and I do have long term plans to make them happen.
I need to start thinking short term. It seems that my days just slip away and by the end of it I don't feel like I've accomplished anything, even If I had.
So easy solution: lists.

They are wonderful and I feel they are going to start ruling my life. I feel like I will have a better grasp on everything and not feel so overwhelmed if I just have everything planned out for the day, hour by hour. I'm going to use my brokers chart and try it out for awhile. I mean I've always had lists, but I need to stay strict, and fit in the things I also like to do, like exercise and read things not related to real estate of graphic design.

I really do miss reading novels, I keep buying them, but they're not being read. I need to read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle. Members of my family and my boyfriend were shocked to learn I had never read it, so its been sitting on my nightstand staring at me for months. Right next to Al Gore's The Assault on Reason and Susan Wilson Solovie's The Girls' Guide to Power and Success( I know it sounds lame but as a business owner and a future design firm owner you have to read these kinds of things.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, lists seem to make the sun shine brighter in my day.